Friday, May 27, 2011

Radical- Part 1

Waiting. . . Adoption is all about waiting.. I figured I would start something new in between adoption updates. I recently started reading the book Radical by David Platt.  This book is an eye opener and at least once a week I will be sharing some of my favorite quotes from the book along with some of my thoughts.

"My biggest fear is that I will hear Jesus' words and walk away, content to settle for less than radical obediance to him." 
      This sentence hit me hard.  When I heard his calling for us to adopt my first thoughts were not let's jump right into this.  I thought it was impossible.  Financially. Emotionally. Impossible.  Through Him nothing is impossible.  The beauty of this whole process is that it is not about me, my son, my husband, or our future daughter; it is about Him.  To be honest, I don't know where the money is going to come from.  We have encountered family and friends that are, let's say less than supportive.  But I know that like Nehemiah we have been given a burden that we will not let go.  

"Satisfaction in our lives and success in the church aren't found in what our culture deems important, but in radical abandonment to Jesus."


"We are settling for Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves." 

    These two quotes are some of the things I struggle with everyday.  I strive to live my life for Him each day, to not live up to our culture's standards.  My prayer is that day by day my heart and my life begin to look more like Jesus.  I pray that I will change from the inside out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment