Sunday, May 22, 2011

Two roads diverged in a wood...

Eric and I have been torn lately about our decision to adopt from Ethiopia.  After choosing a country nearly 4 months ago we came to love Ethiopia even though we had never set foot there.  Since college I have had a love for Africa and knew that one day I would have a child from there.  We chose Ethiopia for several reasons, one of those being that it was a relatively short process.  Over the past several months things have changed, leaving the timeline in the air.  I have seen the hurt that came with parents leaving Ethiopia not passing court and not knowing when that day will come. I have prayed tirelessly that things would change.  But God has a better plan..  There have been circumstances in the past  months that have kept up from sending in our full application along with the fees, that being unforeseen expenses.  After much prayer, Eric and I feel that God is leading us down a different path.  We have done research and spoken with the Africa coordinator at One World Adoptions and we strongly feel that God has presented us with the opportunity to adopt a little girl from the Congo.  There is great need for loving families for children in the Congo.  There are over 5 million orphans in the DRC.  That number is astounding.  Combine that with the fact that there are 48 women and children raped every hour and you have a crises on your hands.  Eric and I know that adopting won't change the world, but it will change the world of one child.  Please continue to pray for us as we continue our journey to bring our little girl home!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you found my blog! And now I found yours! I love getting to read about other couple's adventures with adoption. Your story sounds a bit like ours - first Ethiopia, then Congo. And we are both going through OWAS! Maybe we'll even get to travel together someday SOON to get our babies! Good luck with your adoption process, I hope it runs smoooooothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the Lord is giving you discernment and peace! So excited to watch your story unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI!
    My name is Kathleen and I found your blog through Google. My husband and I are currently changing programs from Ethiopia to the DRC! We are excited, nervous, anxious, and everything in-between!!!!
    I just wanted to reach out and say hello and try to connect with other families that are adopting from the DRC ( and I noticed you are using One World as well as us!)
    If you have the time, check out our blog at www.ourtreeofhope.com.
    We have not formally announced that we are changing programs, so that's why there is no info about the Congo on there yet :)
    God Bless,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete