Thursday, July 7, 2011

Radical Part Deux

It has taken me a while to read as I have been extremely busy, but I wanted to share some more of my favorite quotes from David Platt's book Radical.  This book has totally given me a new perspective on my faith, and I wish I could give a copy to so many people who have such a narrow view of their own Christianity.  

"In our culture we are tempted at every turn to trust in our own power.  God puts people in positions where they are desperate for his power and then he shows his provision in ways that display his greatness."

"We were created for a purpose much greater than ourselves, the kind of purpose that can only be accomplished in the power of His spirit" 

"The Holy Spirit is the Comforter, the Helper, the Guide, the very presence of God living in you."

"Disciples of Jesus-genuine, committed, self-sacrificing followers of Christ aren't made overnight.'

"Materialism has become a weak spot in my Christianity.  We need to reflect radical compassion to the needy and the poor."

"If you have running water, shelter over your head, food to eat, and some means of transportation, then you are in the top 15% of the world's people for wealth."

All of these words really hit home to me.  It made me stop and question, "Am I doing what God wants me to do in regards of reaching out to others?" The answer was obviously no.  I can tell you that I have spoken to a number of people who are Christians that feel that giving to the poor and helping others is overrated.  They put themselves and those they love at the top of the list.  But is that what God really tells us to do?  Someone recently told me that they just didn't get what my T Shirt slogan meant.  "Break my heart for what breaks yours" I explained came from a wonderful song.  To me personally it means that the millions of people living in poverty and the millions of children without homes are breaking God's heart.  I want to see more of what God sees and feel more of what God feels.. Yes, that is right, I want my heart to break for these people.  I want to be radical and give my time and money to help His people.  I can honestly look at "my Christianity" just like David Platt did and say that it lacking.  Can you?

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to pick up this book. I've heard so many good things about it. These quotes are seriously good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete