Friday, January 13, 2012

It's time for my Soapbox..

Faithful.  That is my goal, to be steadfast and faithful.  I knew that when we started our journey it would not come easy.  Why?  Just because God gave us a burden and we obeyed didn't mean Satan wouldn't attack us.  And oh has he attacked us.  I have had close friends and family accuse me of baby buying, of neglecting my son because we have to leave him behind in the US for almost two weeks.  I have been attacked as a mother, as a Christian, as a provider.  I have been told that if we don't have the money to adopt we should just have kids of our own.. I have second guessed myself and God.  I have prayed.  I have meditated.. I have felt like giving up.  And after all of this I realize the more my life becomes conformed to His, the more I receive what he received.  It's easy for us to forget that the world hated Him.  But I love Him.  I adore Him and I will obey him.  Jesus said, "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  I have found it friends.  And I can tell you that the most atrocious things have been said to me by people who claim to be Christians.  I feel like the Bible is very clear about how we are to care for the orphan and widow.

James 1:27

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Jeremiah 22:3

3 This is what the LORD says: Do what is just and right. Rescue from the hand of the oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Isaiah 1:17


17 Learn to do right; seek justice.
   Defend the oppressed.[a]
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
   plead the case of the widow.


John 14:15-21

    15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
 
These are just a few passages that I have found.  There are over 20 verses in the Bible that I have found that tell us how to treat the oppressed, poor, desolate, and orphaned.  In none of my reading did Jesus say, "Only the barren shall take care of the fatherless."  I didn't find a place where God told us we would meet every need.  In fact I truly believe the attitude of "I can't do it all so I won't do anything" is straight from Satan.  (I wonder how many emails I will get about this statement.)
 
My hope is that someone comes across this post and realizes that it doesn't matter if others believe in what we're doing.  It doesn't matter if people think we won't succeed.  What matters is that God put us on this path and He will continue to carry us through it until we are successful.  This life requires more of Him and less of me.  
 
David Platt said it best, " Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names.  They are easier to ignore before you see their faces.  It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms.  But once you do, everything changes."
 
Tara

5 comments:

  1. Tara & Eric,
    The important thing is to do what you think is right. The child will be a lucky one regardless of where he/she comes from.
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this post myself! The call to adoption is a blessing and burden all in one. When we choose to step out in faith for Jesus Christ the world automatically opposes, but being persistent and only looking to Him has deepened my spiritual relationship and has positively impacted a select few around me. Keep pressing on! You are doing an amazing job and being such a perfect model of Christ for your son. Prayers and Blessings!

    http://faith-hope-ethiopia-love.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for writing this! Totally reminds me of what is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened upon your post today and just wanted to let you know that we, too have experienced much of what you wrote about. Thanks for sharing. I will pray for you and your journey. Feel free to stop by our blog if you'd like!
    www.costainpartyofsix.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete