Thursday, March 14, 2013

This mamma's heart...

I've been trying to find the time to write this blog for months now, but so much has been going on... But tonight I passed a church with a sign that spoke to my heart.  It read, "What you take for granted other people are praying for."  I was flooded with emotions and sights from my gotcha trip in Ethiopia.  Time passes so quickly.  We brought home Isaiah two months ago... We became his legal parents only 3 and a half months ago.  It pains me to think of my baby boy alone with no family.  He has had so many medical issues since we arrived home, but despite all of that he is so happy.  He's happy to be loved. Happy to be a part of a family.  Always smiling.. And then I wonder... What if...

Many people see us and talk about how wonderful of people we are for bringing him into our home.  We are not wonderful.  We are fearful, selfish people who are redeeemed and followed His call for our lives.  We almost gave into the fear more than once.  We were broke, and adoption was so expensive.  How could we be called?   He is bigger than our fear folks. 

I am about to share publicly what few people have known for a while.  I'm able to have children and I knew right away He was not asking us to bring home a "healthy child."  The least of these meant something more to me.  It took a lot of prayer for my husband but he finally heard His voice.  Friends there are so many special needs children around the world that need loving families.  At first I thought that God was calling us to adopt a child who was HIV positive.  So we requested that we be matched with a child with HIV.  But one day in October I got a phone call that would rock my world.  A boy was just placed in an orphanage and he had contracted hepatitis C from his mother. The judge phoned our agency because they knew CCI had a reputation for placing special needs kids.  I often wonder how long Isaiah would have been in that orphanage if it wasn't for our agency.  Six months?  1 year?  Maybe 2.  Forever?  Only God knows. As soon as Sue called me I knew we had to say yes.  I said yes before even asking my husband.  I said yes before I had a picture of his sweet chubby face.  I said yes because I felt God move in me.  Eric said no.  What if.... What if he passed it to our child?  What would others say?  What if he got too sick?  What if.... Fear... We almost said no.  Then God intervened.  Eric knew what I knew. He was ours.  A few weeks later we got our picture.  My heart stood still... Then a month or so later we held him for the first time.  I reasearched Hepatitis C and I knew what the statistics said.  They said it was very rare for Isaiah to have this from his mother.  I knew that the test results were inconclusive until we got him home for further testing.  But he still had that label.  We prayed so so hard.  We didn't care if he was sick or not he was ours.  The treatment for Hepatitis C is very hard on your body, so of course we wanted to spare him of that...

Flash foward to March 2013.  While Isaiah has been sick with ear infections and allergies and other ailments God answered our prayers.  A PCR test confirmed that Isaiah only had the antibodies from his birth mother.  He does NOT have hepatitis C.  Friends I tell you this because every child deserves a family.  Every. Single. Orphan.  Not every child will be so lucky, but they still deserve love.  We could have very easily got another diagnosis, and we would be happy still.  He is faithful. 




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete